After the introduction of Right to Information Bill, it has become convenient to get any information (except some limitation like sensitive one which may harm security/integrity of the country). Here I am going to explain how anyone can apply a RTI application online for any information from the Central Government (Not from State Government/NCT Delhi).
Below are the simple steps to follow:
- Open https://rtionline.gov.in/
- Register yourself as an applicant.
- Check your email’s inbox which you have used for the registration.
- Activate the registration by following the link in your email’s inbox.
- After activation you can log-in to the account.
- Now go to ‘Submit Request’ tab from the main menu.
- Agree and confirm the guidelines.
- Select the relevant Ministry/Department.
- Some of the personal details fields will be auto-filled except ‘Status’ and ‘Educational Status’, so select the relevant field from the options available.
- Now comes the application fees. For Below Poverty Line (BPL) people, its free of cost but for others it’s costing Rs. 10 only which is very reasonable fee. So select the fee and move to next field.
- Now draft your application properly. In case, any attachment is required to be uploaded then you can do it but there is limitation of 1 MB attachment. Also the draft should not ne more than 3000 characters. Even though, if you are putting extra space in the application then the text editor will automatically remove the extra space after form submission, so do not use extra space/ tab to align the application. Keep it simple within the points and facts.
- Enter the security code and then submit the form.
- On submission it will redirected to the payment page if you have chooses ‘Above Poverty Line’ before in step no. 10
- After completing the transaction you will get a confirmation email and also a sms on your registered mobile number, with application number. Also it will be updated in the account RTIOnline itself, from where you can keep track the status of the applications.
Response time limit is 30 days. After expiration you can appeal for the same RTI application using the same portal in ‘Submit First Appeal’.